Check out some of these great local Hamiltonian musicians. We have their C.D.s for sale at Picks & Sticks
Instruments - We offer a wide range of high quality instruments at affordable prices.
Lessons - We offer lessons in guitar, bass, drums, and vocal for all skill levels. Sign up for private lessons with one of our many experienced instructors.
Repairs - If you need any kind of repair done on your instrument, bring it in and we will fix it!
PICKS AND STICKS MUSIC
140 LOCKE STREET SOUTH
The Picks And Sticks building, located at 140 Locke Street South, Hamilton, was built in 1896 as the Immanuel Congregational Church. The building is constructed of red brick in the Gothic Revival style and features decorative brickwork, arched windows and doorways, wooden window tracery, brick buttresses with stone caps, stone window sills and coping and an oriole window. When the building was constructed, it was one of only a few structures along Locke Street South. In the early 1900’s, a mixed use building was erected to the south of the church, and the west side of the Locke Street began to develop as a commercial street.
The interior of the church building was renovated in 1926, but financial problems and a dwindling congregation forced the congregation to amalgamate with the nearby Trinity United Church. The Trinity United Church congregation, formerly Trinity Methodist Church, began in 1885 as a Sunday School in a frame building on Canada Street. In the 1950’s, several memorial windows were installed in the church.
In 1963, the building was damaged by a fire that originated in the basement, but damage was limited to $5,000. Soon after, the church was closed and the congregation moved to Zion United Church on Pearl Street.
In 1967, the building was bought by Whitehall Antiques and was used as an auction hall. The building was sold again in the early 1990’s, and was used as a retail store known as the Light Computer Centre. In 1990-91, the Light Computer Company completed extensive renovations to the exterior and interior, and the owners of the building were presented with a Property Enhancement Plaque from the Locke Street Business Improvement Area. There after, the building was used for a variety of retail stores, In 2010 the building was sold, and in 2011
opened as Picks And Sticks Music.